Wendon Company is your source for a wide range of slip ring applications. Our units have been field tested and have proven their ability to withstand even the harshest environments. We develop ideas from technical concepts, for everything from simple slip ring applications such as transmitting control signals to high-tech products for use in defense and radar systems.
With over 55 years of slip ring experience, Wendon Company can design a rugged and reliable slip ring to meet your needs.
Prototyping & Application Engineering
Wendon specializes in custom built slip ring assemblies and will work with you to help turn your ideas into fully functional prototypes. We’ve designed and built an array of slip ring assemblies for hundreds of applications and are confident we can design a unit to fit your specific requirements, regardless of the quantity requested.
Wendon provides efficient yet comprehensive innovation management to encompass consumer feedback, designer ideas, and project specifications. Successful delivery of innovative designs is what makes our slip ring assemblies second to none. Let us work with you to design a product that fits your needs!
Custom Slip Rings
Our slip rings are built from component parts, so unlike many of our larger competitors with cheap “Throw Away” units, our products are completely customizable and repairable, saving you time and money over the life of the slip ring. Past slip ring assemblies Wendon has built have been designed to achieve the following:
- Slip Ring Assemblies incorporated with an Encoder and Rotary Joint
- Slip Ring Assemblies Incorporating Fiber Optic Rotary Joint
- Slip Rings Incorporating Water Unions
- Through-Bore Designs
- Designs for Commercial and Aerospace/Defense
- High voltage applications exceeding 1,000 volts
- High current applications exceeding 5,000 amps
- 600+ channels
- Water tight units
- Ethernet circuits
- Strain gauge instrumentation, accelerometers, etc.
- Operating Temperatures : -60¼ F to +200¼F
- High Potential Test: 1500 Volts RMS
- Insulation Resistance: 100 megohms minimum at 500 VDC, 60% R.H
- Brush Life : 50 million linear feet of ring travel for standard sized
contacts. Longer life can be achieved with oversized
- Noise: Dynamic Contact Resistance less than 10 milliohms
- Rotational speeds: Exceeding 30,000 RPM
- VSWR typical 1:1.3
- Frequency Range: DC to 2.4 GHz
- Insulation Resistance: Greater than 10K Mega Ohm
- Crosstalk: Greater than 50 dB
- Low insertion loss
- Pneumatically actuated brushes (if necessary)
Standard (Off The Shelf) Slip Rings - Repairable!
Wendon's also offers our "standard" slip ring components that offer "custom" assemblies to meet your exact needs, in less time, and with less cost.
Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as a "standard" slip ring assembly because virtually every requirement is unique. But from over 50 years of experience Wendon has developed a range of standard slip ring components that can be combined and assembled in almost limitless ways to meet your applications. Because they are assembled from standard components we call them "Standard Slip Ring Assemblies", and they save you time and cost—plus assuring you of consistent quality and proven performance. It is important to note that our units are repairable! Units can be repaired in the field or they can be sent back for a full repair and overhaul, including upgrade modifications when necessary. It is your choice.
- Modified bore sizes can be provided with each standard diameter.
- Highest resistance to environmental conditions, vibration and shock requirements.
- Allows change in quantity of circuits per slip ring and brush block assembly.
- Flat type ring design provides maximum number of rings in shortest length for rated current and voltage.
- Slip ring assemblies can be installed onto a single shaft to produce a unit having hundreds of rings
- Slip Ring: Silver, surface finish less than 20 micro-inches
- Brush Contacts: Silver Graphite, Wendon's standard contacts. When necessary, Wendon can offer metal fiber brushes for increased longevity and near zero brush dust.
- Insulation: Glass-based epoxy laminates (G10/FR4).
- Mounting: Slip ring collar and brush block brackets (aluminum alloy with conversion coating for corrosive protection).
Repairs & Upgrades
Wendon slip rings are unique as they are fabricated from component parts. Unlike many of our competitors, our slip rings are completely repairable, giving you a longer useable lifespan for your slip ring assembly.
Wendon will repair and upgrade existing units, saving time and money when compared to “molded” units which need to be thrown away if just one circuit goes down.
Spare Parts & Components
Wendon can provide a full complement of spare parts to keep your slip ring assembly running like new for years. Easily replace worn brush leafs with a new set and install in the field without the need to purchase an entirely new slip ring assembly or shut down a production line for long periods of time.